Welcome all

Thank you for checking out my Dark Eldar blog. I plan to record my progress in finishing off my current favourite 40K army which shall encompass my attempts at trying to make the army look half decent (for instance, I have never properly based an army ever, so that will be an experience), battle reports, tactics and painting progress, as well as adding a bit of background here and there.

Apologies to those of you that have checked out numerous blogs like these before - I'm well aware that my painting skills need some work but that's part of the reason for recording it like this. Please leave a comment if you have a question, any thoughts on units or tactics or especially painting hints and tips.

Sean

Wednesday 25 July 2012

A Dark Faildar player grappling with Marinehammer...

It occurred to me yesterday that either I am a shockingly bad player, my Dark Eldar army is terrible or I am making an arse of each one of my games. Currently I am on quite the losing streak, which is amusing and interesting for any player to go through, as you take stock of where you think you went wrong, change either parts of your army or rethink strategy & tactics, move on and see how it goes. I think I must have played close to 15 games of 6th ed, and I've won three of them. To start with I was sure that it definetly isn't my list, and that I just hadn't got my 6th ed game sorted which probably applies to everyone, so therefore to just persevere with it and it will work. But it hasn't relented, and games that seem to be in a favourable position just slip away. 

The last few games I've had were like this:

An absolute murdering against Ronalds' flyer-spam Necrons:
I think this is fair enough - I didn't have enough skyfire stuff to take down 3 doom scythes and a night scythe, and was probably gonna get tabled until Ronald suggested we call it. Some questionable stuff here though, like does the doom ray hit both flying targets and those underneath (i suspect they do as thats how its written in the codex, but if you say your using skyfire..) and my flyers got shot down quick time as I was going first, therefore the Necrons get the first shots in. DE flyers are fail in taking down other flyers too, but we'll come to that in a while

A 1 Kill Point defeat to Colin's Templars
well this was obviously close. No more invincible Templars LR's, just haywire them to death, but that cost me 2 kill points as both wych units died, and I only got 1 of 2 of the LR's. Everyone seems to think Templars will loose blessed hull which will make me happy as I can potentially take them down with shooting instead of suiciding my valuable troops units. Long- table deployment didn't favour me here as its less room to maneouver to stay out of his weapon ranges. Whilst this was a defeat I killed a lot more of his army than he did of mine but its the age old kill pts problem of me having more units in transports 

A hiding vs Colin's Fateweaver flying circus 
Was big guns never tire mission. Colin got his non-preffered wave down and I killed a unit of crushers and two units of horrors on the 2nd turn. Then I didn't do a single wound the next turn when FW, a DP and a bloodthirster came down in the flying mode. Not one wound. I eventually killed all the troops, but the Daemon Princes were scoring and I just couldn't hit them. Colin won by about 4-5 victory pts. The Bloodthirster (Warlord) was on 1 wound through half the game and I chucked the kitchen sink at him to no avail. One of the scoring DP's was on an objective on 1 wound too. I would have won on turn 5 but went to 6 and I got gubbed.

1k game against Bernard's Coteaz Grey Knights
Gk's in 1k are filth as you take the stupidly pointed 3 man squads as troops leaving you to take a spam of purifiers! Was one of my only games of nightfighting, which does benefit DE immensely in this edition. So after an encouraging start where I killed about half the purifiers, I didn't kill or wound anything for about 3 turns. Lost a squad of wyches and my succubus to a foolish disembarkation, but obviously with poor dark lance rolls against GK you don't have a 2nd chance against them, not with twin-linked psybolt fortitude nonsense on the go. 
A hammering

1750 or 2K game (can't remember) close victory against Scott's Sisters
Nightfighting first turn which was good for me - I put the hurt on in the 2nd turn when I got the charge with Incubi + wyches on some sisters squads, and I bombed another into oblivion with my voidraven which then shot and exploded an Exorcist. Going well, then the remaining Exorcist started smashing Dark ELdar vehicles and the saint got up at last to roast 4 from 5 DE warriors on an objective, he stayed and I won the game. Well we had to call it there and not roll for a 6th, but if it had went on I had a venom full of warriors on the only other objective with not enough to stop them. Despite destroying about half the sisters army in turns 1 and 2 I still could have lost it, and to be fair to Scott the saint failed twice to get back up (though she did pass her first 3 Dark Lance instagib invulnerable saves!)

An unfinished game against Scotts sisters - again at 1750 but with a slightly different list. Similar in that I smashed a lot of the scoring sisters, but my vehicles took a hammering by the Exorcists frankly ridiculous rates of fire, and I couldn't scratch them this time with my Dark Lances. I still had all 5 troops units technically, but both wych squads only had 1 left. Hadn't lost my venom warrior squads though, but the saint was flying around with nearly a whole squad of seraphim and Scott had both exorcists left. I had to leave though, so we didn't get to finish it. 

A comedy 1750 gubbing vs Bernard's Gk
This game was a pure farce. Relic, and diagonal deployment. Didn't do enough damage, or any damage to think of really, going 1st, then lost about half my vehicles on Bernards 1st turn. After that I suppose the game is more than half over but what happened next with my shooting for the next 2 turns was undescribable. A good laugh. I conceded start of Bernard's turn 4 I think.

so a few things that are coming up constantly:
DE antitank shooting sucks in this edition - its almost completely ineffective vs GK. so on a penetrating hit on a razorback i need a 5-6 to take it out, or a 4 to take the HB off. Glancing changes for just hull points are pish for DE as there is no twin-linking so you really needed the potential for those glances to possiblly destroy a weapon or immobilise stuff.
DE flyers are awesome at killing infantry, which is good, but are terrible at killing other flyers, for the same hull points reasons, and the low AV of DE stuff when you get the retaliation from the angry Stormraven, Vendetta or even Doom Scythe that you are unlikely to take out with your two DL shots.
Ap1 totally annihilates me - true of most stuff, though its more from Doom Scythes and MM on Raven's for me, as with nightshields etc my raiders + venoms rarely get hit with infantry melta weapons. + 3 on the damage table!!
I need to take a farseer ally to stop GK psychic shennanigans. Self explanatory really

Despite all this I am undeterred - I really believe that I can make my Kabal mighty again with the units that I like, it just needs a bit of thought. However, a rebranding of the 40k mantra is in effect I believe - ''In the dark future of Marinehammer, for Xenos, there is only pain!!''

No comments:

Post a Comment